Friday, March 21, 2008

Decorating Ideas

The photo here is what I'd call our "inspiration" for our new place. Classic, comfortable, and clean

So here is how I "decorate" successfully (I put that in quotes because I really don't have a clue as to what I am doing):

1. Get vision (not in the religious sense, but in the "picture it in your mind" sense)
2. Execute vision
3. Enjoy results
The above works out when, you guessed it, #1 is successful. When #1 isn't successful, however, #2 & #3 do not stand a chance. Hence the months-long search for the best "off-white" for our old bedroom and it still never really coming together.

So here is the status of the "visions" for our new place:
Kitchen: not much to do here
Living/dining room: limited vision
Office: vision!!!
Bedroom: no vision
Bathroom: limited vision
Guest bedroom: no vision...never had an extra bedroom before!
Hallway: vision
On second thought, I suppose I do have more in my head than I previously thought. Still, it is a daunting task. I feel like I just don't know where to start in most rooms. Most rooms, except the office...

The office. That will be the flagship room (for now, at least. kind of says something about our habits, I supposed, having the office be the focal point of the place!). I have that so precisely planned in my head that I think it'll be the first room I'll complete just so that I can have one finished. Plus, it'll double as a second guest room, so we'll be able to have people over immediately.




Here's what I'm thinking for the office (current picture included):
- Rich, dark tan/brown on the walls (there is a *lot* of white trim, including the large white mantle)
- Sofabed against the mantle
- Desk in front of the windows, facing towards the room
- Bookshelf to the right of the desk (where the hutch is now)
- Some sort of filing cabinet/console either behind the desk or to the left or right for the printer and for, well, filing
- Tall, narrow, wooden chest of drawers to the right of the exposed chimney to balance the room and give some more storage space
- Tan wooden bench (used to be in our living room) as a coffee table (can also be used for seating, etc.
- Natural fiber rug (details TBD)
- Candles on the mantle
- Accent color (pillows, etc.) of bright green. Not a crazy, flourescent green, but a pretty green. Like what Crate & Barrel has when you first walk into all their stores right now.
Here's what I was thinking of for the desk: http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=1070&f=26303

I saw it in the Crate & Barrel store this weekend in NYC and loved it. It has a great, large workspace and a comfortable chair (not too comfortable, or I wouldn't get any work done; plus, that's what the couch will be for!). Before we decide for sure, I have to make sure it look all right from the back, since the back of the desk will be facing the room. So many desks, surprisingly, are not finished in the back. Good thing we have a huge Crate & Barrel nearby!

No comments: